Thursday, June 24, 2010

Healthy Banana Bread

After my HUGE bag of bananas from Costco ripen way too quickly, I decided to hunt for a healthy banana bread. I wanted something that would use up my 8 over-ripe bananas and would be low in WW points since I'd be the only one in the house eating it. I still don't understand how Kevin can't like bananas! Anyway, I headed to one of my favorite cooking blogs and found the below recipe! It was amazing! I'm freezing the second loaf to have as an easy yet yummy gift!

Low Fat Banana Nut Bread
7 ripe medium bananas, mashed
1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
2-1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1-1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp butter, softened
1 cup light brown sugar
4 large egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 oz (3/4 cup) chopped walnuts (optional)
Pam baking spray

Preheat oven to 325°. Grease two 9x5 inch loaf pans with baking spray. In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt with a wire whisk. Set aside. In a large bowl cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg whites, bananas, apple sauce and vanilla, and beat at medium speed until thick. Scrape down sides of the bowl. Add flour mixture and walnuts, then blend at low speed until combined. Do not over mix. Pour batter into loaf pans and bake on the center rack for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the pan cool at least 20 minutes, bread should be room temperature before slicing. Servings: 26 slices (2 loaves)

With Nuts: Calories: 129.2 • Fat: 4.4 g • Carbs: 20.6 • Protein: 2.8 • Fiber: 1.4 g • Points: 3 ww pts Without Nuts: Calories: 106.1 • Fat: 2.1 g • Carbs: 20.2 • Protein: 2.3 • Fiber: 1.2 g • Points: 2 ww pts

2 comments:

  1. I've totally copied all your blog posts this week! Thanks! :) I bought bananas at HT last night to make this bread. Hope to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I have a low fat recipe but am going to give this a try. I have so many bananas in my freezer!

    ReplyDelete