Monday, April 30, 2012

In-laws, Gourmet Garden and Quiche

My in-laws came to visit this past weekend.  They are awesome!  It's true!  I'll even say that when they aren't around reading. I wanted to have something easy yet delicious for breakfast brunch when we were all awake.  Love that my father-in-law takes his sleeping more seriously than I do.  So I decided to take inspiration from a breakfast Kevin and I enjoyed at a bed and breakfast and make a quiche with tomato, basil and goat cheese.  How could you go wrong?  Then I found this recipe which added in caramelized onions.  Oh heaven!  And then I got excited that I didn't need to spend a fortune on fresh basil because we already had some.  Score!  In a tube.  Huh?  In the freezer.  Confused?  Then you need to invest in Gourmet Garden!  You can find it in the produce section.  Thank me later. 

Anywho, here's the most awesomely delicious quiche recipe.  There are talks of quiche making every weekend, so there might be more quiche recipes headed your way.

Caramelized Onion, Tomato, Basil, Goat Cheese Quiche
1 onion, sliced
1 tbsp. olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp of frozen basil
1 tomato, sliced
4 ounces herbed or plain goat cheese, crumbled
6 eggs
1cup whole milk
2 tbsp. feta cheese
salt and pepper, to taste
1 nine inch store bought crust


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat a pan over medium-low heat and add olive oil. Once the oil is hot, add onions and slowly saute them until caramelized and light brown in color, about 20 minutes. Add salt, to taste, and set aside.


Place crust dough into pie pan.  Spread the onions onto the bottom of the crust. Sprinkle goat cheese evenly over onions. Arrange sliced tomatoes on top of the filling.

In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and basil. Add salt and pepper to taste. Carefully pour the egg mixture into crust. Sprinkle feta on top of the egg mixture.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Turn the oven up to 425. Bake for an additional 15 minutes until the filling is set and browned on top. Let rest and cool for 15 minutes before slicing.


P.S.  Gourmet Garden has no clue who I am or even that I am writing about them.  I just love the convenience of their products (Basil, Cilantro and Parsley are my favorites) and wanted to pass it along to you.  Sharing is caring, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment